Thursday, March 1, 2012

Spicy Vietnamese Lemongrass Chicken

No picture of this one because it was so yummy, we ate it instantly.

Here's what I did.

Took 4 chicken leg quarters (they weighed in at just under 4 pounds, something like 3.75 or so) and cooked them on low for about 4 hours in my 4-quart crockpot. They were 1/2 to 2/3 cooked, I'd say, so in that grey area between raw and cooked.

I then took them out and butchered them up, separating the meat from skin and bones - cut the meat into strips. I'm not a great butcher, so I had 1.5 pounds yield of meat, all told.

Then I made up the following marinade:

4 tsp lemongrass powder
2 tsp splenda (2 drops EZSweetz)
1 tsp black pepper
2 tbsp fish sauce
1.5 tbsp canola oil
0.5 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1/2 tsp xanthan gum

I marinated the chicken in that in a container in the fridge for an hour, hour and a half. You could do it overnight if you wanted, I suspect.

----

When it came time to make dinner, I heated 3 tbps of canola oil + 1 tsp of sesame oil in a wok on medium high. Then added 1/4 cup onions + 3 cloves garlic + 2 tsp of chile power + 1 tsp cayenne and cooked that for like 30 seconds.

Then I dumped in the marinated chicken and cooked it for about 3 or 4 minutes until the chicken was all nice and browned up chicken and cooked through.

Then I added 2 tbsp of fish sauce, 1/4 cup water, and 6 tsp of Splenda (6 drops EZSweetz) and simmered it on medium/medium low for 5 minutes or so until it looked "right."

We ate this over 75 grams apiece of steamed grated cauliflower "rice."

Made 2 servings of 554 calories and 5.9 carbs apiece if you make it with liquid Splenda instead of granular/packets(which we did).


Spicy, savory, with the slight citrus sweetness of lemongrass. Om nom nom.

Grade: A

No comments:

Post a Comment